Sunday 6 April 2008

Shelf life

The O. Henry Prize Stories 2007 website has been doling out its authors with such parsimony that I was beginning to wonder whether it would ever get to me (and Susan Straight, and Adam Haslett, who may have written my favourite, and Ariel Dorfman, and...). Then, all at once, we're being tipped out, one on top of the other, with an abandon that suggests the 2008 anthology is about to appear and space is needed, so in with the new and out, out with the old. I feel rather like something on the bargain shelf in Tesco's. Still, if you aren't put off by my sell-by date and want to see what I had to say about the O. Henry prize and various other things, click here. (Though I don't know why my photograph wasn't used. I'm sure I sent one... Should I be worried?)

PS This image has nothing at all to with O. Henry or my story (or indeed my missing photograph).

2 comments:

Chancelucky said...

I take it that means that you already have a second novel in addition to Little Monsters? It was a little unclear.

I imagine I'll be seeing even more of these features on you and your writing over the next few months. May the American debut of your novel be a huge hit critically and commercially.

Charles Lambert said...

You're absolutely right. It's with Picador right now, and I'm waiting for their decision. I won't tell you what it's called, because I know my editor there isn't that keen on the current title, so whatever happens, that won't survive.

I would love to see features on me and my writing everywhere and all the time! And I can't wait for a US publisher to pick up on the book...