Friday 12 February 2010

Saints and charlatans

In religious circles there's a term - bilocation - that describes the ability of certain extremely holy figures to be in two places at the same time, obviously for miraculous purposes. Padre Pio was reputed to have this extraordinary power, popping up here to wave a bloody hand at the devil, popping up there to...well, we needn't go into details, but I'm sure a good time was had by all. But this photograph is the first time to my knowledge that an entire group has been able to duplicate itself, presumably at the bidding of the grinning master of ceremonies on the podium. I guess it's a loaves and fishes thing.

(My thanks to Peter and Wayne for drawing my attention to this sacred image.)

3 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Wow!

Anne said...

Great find!

But Padre Pio - don't get me started.

Charles Lambert said...

I'd love to get you started on PP, Anne. Have you read the bit in Naples '44 by Norman Lewis, where he talks about a flying priest? Guess who?